Chocolate Thumbprint Cookie with Caramel is the featured dessert for this Dessert Wednesday. It is decorated in three ways and there are tons of cute and colorful Christmas sprinkles on top. Anybody special who will receive this as Christmas present will be pleased.
It is one of those mornings in which my body is so tired but my mind is still active. I was tossing on my bed begging my mind to lull myself to sleep but there are so many thoughts that is bugging me. Indeed, it is not a very good idea to go to bed angry. My mind brought me back of the resentment I felt towards my kids when I came home and the house was in utter chaos. There is only one thing that I ask from these kids; and that is to clean up the house and do their chores. But you know what, nothing is getting done and I found myself boiling with anger. I do not usually cuss, but I exploded with my native tongue’s cuss words…. I am telling you guys, I am at my wits end… Grrrrrrrrr.
So I went to bed infuriated and as a result,I am unable to sleep. I have been tossing for two hours now, but sleep eluded me. It is now 4 AM, and I just decided to make these Chocolate Thumbprint Cookie rather than making it later today as I initially planned. Measuring ingredients and tasting the dough really do have a calming effect on me… I felt better.
These Chocolate Thumbprint Cookie with Caramel is really a good idea as present this Christmas just like this Chocolate Butter Walnut Blondie. There is nothing more thoughtful than giving something delicious and something that you work hard for.
BUT HERE IS A SECRET… Although these cookies look really cute, it does not take a lot of effort to make.It only took me 15 minutes to make the dough and the baking time was only 11 minutes. You do not need an electric mixer to do this. The dough rolls beautifully and it is soft and chewy. If you prefer an easier route, you can buy a ready made Caramel from the grocery store just like what I did with this Fast Prep Caramel Apple Pie and you also get an already melted Chocolate Ganache too.
I, however, made everything from scratch; but it does not mean it is difficult. The cookie dough, the ganache and the caramel were very doable. I promise.
- 1 cup flour
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ¼ tsp. salt
- ½ cup unsalted butter,at room temperature
- ⅔ cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 tbsp heavy whipping cream
- 1 tsp.vanilla extract
- ½ cup of powdered sugar,sparkling sugar or leave plain
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 6 tbsps, unsalted butter,cut into tbsp-size chunks
- ½ cup heavy cream
- ¼ tsp. fine salt,plus about ½ tsp for sprinkling
- ½ cup of Sweet Chocolate Morsels
- Make Cookies: Pre-heat oven at 350 F. Sift flour,cocoa powder and salt into a bowl.In another bowl with mixer on medium speed,beat butter and granulated sugar until pale and fluffy. Reduce speed to low and add in egg yolk,cream and vanilla. Gradually add in flour mixture.
- Scoop dough into 1 tbsp portion and form into ball. Rool into powdered sugar or sprinkled sugar. Arrange onto parchment line cookie sheet and bake for 10 minutes. Pressthe middle of the cookie with a thick handled wooden spoon. Bake for 11 minutes and slide parchment paper off the sheet onto the cooling rack.
- Put granulated sugar in a large nonstick fring pan;spread evenly. HEat over medium heat, stirring constantly using a wooden spoon.Sugar will form clumps and will melt into a lightly brown color liquid; Around 4-5 minutes. Reduce heat to low and add butter. Stirring constantly, add the cream and let it boil . Scrape some hard chunks of sugar that may form and melt them. Let the mixture boil and remove from heat.
- Put chocolate morsels in a microwave safe bowl Fill bottom of saucepan with water. Heat water to low until it began to simmer. Put the bowl with Chocolate on top of the sauce pan without touching the water. Let the chocolate melt. Stir with rubber spatula.Turn off heat and Set aside until ready to use
- Spoon about ¼ tsp caramel into each cookie and add in sprinkle.