Eggplant Omelet Boats is just another way on how I cook eggplant which my kids love. Although I have cooked eggplant in so many ways, like this Pork Stuff Eggplant Boat , this recipe is by far my kids’ favorite. My kids do not like the eggplant skin, so most of the time, I have to peel them before cooking which is not a very good idea,by the way, because most of the eggplant’s nutrients are mostly in its skin… so I bake it to soften the skin to hide its tart flavor. I then add egg and ground turkey (or any ground meat) to up its health benefits.
With the soft baked skin, and the egg coating the turkey meat, I enjoy watching the kids take time savoring each spoonful tasting,really tasting this healthy Eggplant Omelet.
I have tinkered on this recipe several times and I found that pre cooking the eggplant and the ground meat is the best way to go. In my first attempt, I did not pre cooked the ingredients .Although it tested great, it took the eggplant and the ground meat a long time to cook and the ingredients make the meal really watery. So I prefer and I highly suggest to pre cooki the eggplant and ground meat first in the skillet and next I then fill them into the eggplant skin,. I then pour the beaten egg over the meat and bake it until the egg is set. Boy, it yield a savory and great healthy meal which we all enjoy.
- 4 pieces small size eggplant,sliced lengthwise at the middle
- 1 lb ground pork or ground turkey
- 3 eggs, beaten
- ½ of medium sized red bell pepper,chopped (around ½ cup when chopped)
- ¼ of medium sized orange bell pepper,chopped
- 2 sticks green onion separate the leaves to garnish and use the bulb only for cooking)
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- salt to season ( measure according to your taste)
- Preheat oven at 350 F
- Cut eggplant in half and remove the inner meat from the shells and chop the meat into small pieces. Reserve the shells and spray the outer skin with non stick oil, set aside.
- Heat cooking in a pan and add in the chopped onion bulb until translucent.
- Add the ground pork until cook through, and then add the eggplant meat and cook until soft. Then add the bell pepper and let it cook for 3 more minutes. Season the meat mixture with salt. Remove from heat and let cool for a bit.
- Fill the eggplant shells. and arrange eggplant in a cast iron or baking sheet. Pour the beaten eggs over the eggplant.
- Bake eggplant for 45 minutes or until egg is set and eggplant shells are soft.