This is a healthier version of that Orange Chicken we buy from the grocery store and Panda Express. So fear no more, and enjoy an orange chicken that you are not guilty to indulge and munch with. This is a baked chicken breast. The chicken breasts slices were marinated with fresh orange juice, orange zest and more. I hope you like it.
My family is a sucker for Chinese food. Chinese take out, Chinese buffet, we are in. So when you are in a diet like me, living so close to the grocery store that sells the best Orange Chicken does not help at all, because their Orange chicken is deep-fried; therefore, it is terribly high in calories. It is either I will completely spurn the best Orange Chicken by moving to the highest mountains, without any access for a transportation, or I will make my own healthy version.I thought the latter is a more practical idea. So I am baking my chicken it is.
You might be thinking why I cooked this meal in batch. It is because this meal will be consumed until breakfast and lunch the next day. Although this is excellent if serve hot, it is still good for pack lunch. Just heat it in the microwave and it is good to go.
When I ate this food, there was no guilt at all. This is the kind of Chinese food that I should be eating…
- 2 lbs skinless chicken breast slice into bite sized pieces
- 1 cup of corn starch for the chicken breading plus 1 tablespoon cornstarch for the marinade
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- spray oil
- ½ teaspoon sesame seeds
- 1 green onion, for garnish
- 1 cup chicken broth
- ½ cup orange juice ( I got this from two oranges)
- 1 tbs orange zest from the orange ( you can add more zest if you like)
- ¼ cup sugar
- ¼ cup white vinegar
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 inch length ginger, crushed
- In a large bowl, mixed together the marinade ingredient. Set aside.
- Place the sliced chicken breast in another bowl in a zip lock or a bowl. Spoon in ⅔ cup of the marinade and mix it with the chicken breast. Marinate the chicken for 30 minutes.
- When the chicken is ready, drain the marinade and prepare a large baking sheet and spray it with non stick oil. Set aside.
- Scramble the egg in a bowl. Pour in one cup of corn starch on a flat plate. Keep the cornstarch handy as you may need more of it later.
- Pre heat oven at 400 F.
- Dip the chicken breast into the scrambled egg and roll it into the cornstarch. Place it on the baking sheet. Do the same to the rest of the chicken.Bake the chicken for 10 minutes then turn the other side for another 10 minutes.
- When the chicken is almost ready, place the remaining of the marinade into a sauce pan and let it simmer. Mix the 1 tablespoon cornstarch with 2 tablespoon of water and mix until smooth. Then pour mixture into the simmering marinade. Continue mixing until the marinade is sticky.
- When the chicken is cooked, put them into a deep bowl and drizzle in the marinade or toss the chicken gently. Garnish with onion leaves and lemon zest. NOTE: For me, I I drizzle the chicken with the sauce so that the breading is still intact.
- Serve Hot.
by: Shobelyn Dayrit