Homemade Vietnamese Spring Rolls is a very good idea for today’s appetizer because I have all these herbs in my fridge and they are calling me to use them… they are almost withered. Although it is highly recommended to use the freshest ingredients for this Vietnamese Spring Rolls, I just have to use the basil,mint and cilantro which I bought a week ago. I also have my thawed Chinese Pork Barbecue on hand to push me to make this appetizer.
I have planned to make this appetizer a week ago thus all those withered herbs; but I got so busy with work and life that I cannot make myself to make this. Even though this is really easy to make, sometimes though, I choose to just relax and not worry about taking pictures of my food, so I have been pushing this Vietnamese Spring Rolls to the wayside until today.
This Vietnamese Spring Rolls are very refreshing. It is a big change from eating the all those Chocolate Thumbprint Cookie with Caramel which I mindlessly indulge for the past week. The cilantro, basil and mint highlighted the flavor of the Chinese Pork Barbecue. Plus the Peanut sauce just make this appetizer stand out. Over all, this appetizer has excellent taste and the colorful assortment of the herbs,veggies and carrots make a colorful presentation. Enjoy it!
- 1 head Iceberg Lettuce ( slice into thin strips or you can cut the lettuce leaves in half)
- 2 medium size carrots, slice into strips
- 1 cup Thai Basil ( Basil from your grocery will work too)
- 1 cup Cilantro
- 1 cup mint
- 1 pack (14 oz) Rice Vermicelli noodles, cooked and cooled ( I use Jiang Xi)
- 1 pack 12 oz spring Roll Wrapper ( I used Banm Trang)
- Char Siu
- ¼ cup Hoisin Sauce
- 2½ teaspoon ground peanuts
- 1 teaspoon peanut butter
- 2 teaspoon sesame oil
- 2.5 lbs Boneless Pork Butt or Pork Loin
- 1 teaspoon Curing Powder ( you can get some in Walmart-Hoosier Hill Farm Curing Powder)
- 2 tablespoons Ketchup
- 2 teaspoons rice cooking wine (optional)
- Boil rice vermicelli per instruction. Set aside to cool.
- Fill a large flat, round plate with warm water and dip one wrapper to soften.Dip for about 5 to 10 seconds and remove.
- Lay the wrapper in flat plate or flat smooth surface and fill.
- Across the center of the wrapper, place a small amount of lettuce and top it with vermicelli noodles. Place the cilantro,mint and basil on top of the vermicelli noodle and fold. On this fold, place three cooked shrimps and roll.
- On this second roll, place the cooked Barbecue and sealed the sides for the wrapper. Then roll the wrapper all the way.
- Do the same on the rest of the spring rolls. Set in a flat plate. Cover spring rolls with plastic if you are not planning to eat them right away.
- In another small bowl, mix the Hoisin sauce, sesame oil and peanuts.
- Serve rolled spring rolls peanut dipping sauce
- In a small container, rub the meat with the curing powder and ketchup,rice wine if using. Marinate overnight, When ready, place pork on a wire lined baking sheet and bake at preheated oven at 350 F for 40 to 45 minutes or until cook through. Let cool and wrap to freeze for use. Enjoy!