How do you cook Crispy and Baked Pork Belly? Here it is. Who would think that making Chinese Pork Belly is easy to make? This is the type of Pork Belly “how to cook” that is foolproof -tasty and is sure to delight guests and family. It is an easy to follow recipe that yields a tender, savory Pork Belly meal.AND THIS PORK BELLY is not salty at all! I use the regular Norton Iodized salt.
I have made this several times last year, and every time, it solicits praise and adulation among guests. It is soft in the inside and the skin is crispy from broiling. And what I love the most is that the meat tastes really good from the pepper and salt.
The preparation of the Pork Belly is really simple. You made some holes on the pork belly skin, dab the Pork Belly meat with salt and pepper, wrap it with tin foil and you are good to go. Although it takes several hours to bake, it is so worth it.
- 2.5 to lbs Pork Belly Plank
- 1 cup Norton Iodized Salt
- ½ tablespoon Norton Salt (for rubbing the meat)
- ½ tablespoon Ground black pepper (for rubbing the meat)
- 1 tablespoon of cooking oil
- Pre-heat oven at 350 F
- Dab the pork belly dry.
- Using the 1 tablespoon salt and pepper, prepare the pork belly by rubbing the whole meat with salt and pepper.
- Using ice pick or metal skewer, make holes on the skin.
- Brush skin with the cooking oil.
- Set the Pork Belly plank with the skin up on tin foil. Fold tin foil to cover the sides of the meat. This is really important because you don't want the salt to fall off towards the meat while baking, it will make the meat salty. So make sure that the foil is tightly sealed on the side.
- Spread one cup of the salt on the skin and bake on the pre heated oven for 2 and half hours.
- After 21/2 hours,the salt will be hard and you can scrape the salt off.
- NOW, THERE ARE TWO STEPS THAT YOU CAN USE:
- YOU CAN LET THE MEAT COOL OR YOU CAN BROIL RIGHT AWAY. BUT EITHER WAY, YIELDS A VERY TASTY PORK BELLY.THE DIFFERENCE IS THE SKIN'S CRUNCH.
- If you let it cool, the skin is crunchy. If you, broil right away, it yields a melt in the mouth skin.
- SO, let the skin cool down for 4 hours or until the meat is really cold.
- Prepare the oven broiler to low and put the oven rack 10 inches from heat source.
- Broil until the skin is golden and puff.
- IF YOU BROIL RIGHT AWAY, CHANGE THE OVEN SETTING TO BROIL.The heat source should be 10 inches from the meat. Broil until the skin is golden and puff.
- ALWAYS, ALWAYS, WATCH THE MEAT WHILE BROILING BECAUSE IT MIGHT GET BURNED JUST LIKE ON THE PICTURE. I was wrapping lumpia when I made this Pork Belly and I forgot.