Lechon Kawali Paksiw. I made Lechon Kawali the other week and I purposely made a lot so that I can make this Lechon Kawali Paksiw. If I have my way, I will make Lechon Kawali my meal EVERY. SINGLE.DAY. But since I am old and prone to high cholesterol per family history, I only make it once in a while. And when I do, I go all out. I make a lot for so that I can have some left over for this Lechon Kawali paksiw. It is passable enough as Lechon Paksiw.
Before I delve deeper in this recipe I will share with you the history of this meal…
In the Philippines, we usually roast a whole pig when we have big party. Sometimes, there will be leftover, so we make Lechon Paksiw. Lechon Paksiw’s main ingredient will be the left over Lechon mix together with soy sauce, vinegar, spiced with dried Lilly flower,brown sugar and whole black pepper. It is then boiled for a long time and then all of the flavor of the roasted pig will just perfectly go together with the sourness of the vinegar and soy sauce, neutralized with the brown sugar. Paired with rice, you have the most delicious and awesome smell main meal right in front of you.
In “my” ideal world, I use Lechon leftover as a main ingredient for this recipe; but since I cannot roast a whole pig in my backyard here in the US, I’ll settle with using Lechon Kawali as a main ingredient for this meal… (I posted the recipe and procedure in my Lechon Kawali post in this link so you can jump there before you proceed if you don’t know how to cook Lechon Kawali.)
So this traditional Filipino meal starts with making Lechon Kawali. I then make the sauce by mixing the soy sauce,vinegar, sugar in a small bowl and season the sauce accordingly.I then pour the sauce on the Lechon Kawali, and boil it in low heat until the sauce sip into the meat. In my case, I usually, add more water and add more soy sauce and vinegar when it boils so that the sauce do not ran dry and I have some sauce drizzled on top of the rice.
What I love about this Lechon Kawali Paksiw:
- Sauce ingredients is accessible.
- Mouth watering sauce.
- A perfect unhealthy indulgence worth your while.
- Will seriously develop your self control not going back for seconds.
- 2-3 pieces dried bay leaves
- ⅛ cup vinegar
- ½ cup Soy sacue
- ½ cup dried Lilly Flower
- ½ cup water
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1- 2 lbs left over Lechon Kawali
- Place the Lechon Kawali ina deep size pan.
- In a small bowl,mix the first five ingredients and season according to your liking.
- Pour sauce into the Lechon Kawali.
- Cook on low fire until it is gently boiling. Add more sauce when the sauce dries up and when needed. In my case, I let the first batch of sauce sip into the meat then I make another batch so that I'll have a little more to pour on top of my rice.
- Serve hot.