“I think you are missing something in the last for months…”
At least that ‘s what I’m currently thinking, since I have been making this Puto Flan for several occasions and I kept on putting off sharing it… I just did not get a chance until now, so I’m sorry. Just think about the days you missed eating this flan but haven’t, just because I was too busy to share it. As the saying goes, “There is a time for everything,” and this is the time for this Filipino dessert to be shared.
I got the recipe from Lalaine ,the author of Kawalling Pinoy blog, but I revised the recipe for a bit. I added vanilla, and instead of kalamansi, I used lemon. So, this should, hopefully meet your requirement of how a delicious dessert should be, so I am excited to share it with you,guys.
We have these desserts in the Philippines called Puto Cheese and Leche Flan and Puto Flan is the combination of both. I tell yah, my children will eat the whole batch if I let them.
I made this yesterday for some friends. I made it the night before so that I can only focus on cooking the meat menu. It yielded 22 Puto Flan and after cooking I let it cool and put it in the fridge for the party. As I was setting the table, I saw that there were 11 left… the kids eat them. I forgot to tell that it was for the party. I could have made some again, since it is very simple to make, but I opted not to this time. That’s how much the kids love this snacks. When I make this, my son bring some for his school lunch.
- FOR THE FLAN
- 4 egg yolk, separated
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 can 14 oz condensed milk
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 2 cups flour
- ⅔ cup sugar
- 4½ teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1¼ cup water
- 4 egg whites
- Brush puto mold with oil. Set aside.
- In a steamer, boil ten cups of water.
- In a small bowl, mix all of the flan ingredients and pour ⅛ cup flan mixture in the puto mold.
- in another bowl Mix all of the Puto ingredients. Set aside.
- Pour ⅛ cup of the Flan mixture to the puto mold and steam flan mixture for 15 minutes. Do the same to rest of the flan mixture.
- When ready, remove the set flan mixture and pour ⅛ cup puto mixture on top and steam for another 15-18 minutes.