PUTO CHEESE LECHE FLAN RECIPE. Hi guys, I am sharing with today these 2 holiday recipes which we, Filipinos love: Puto Cheese and Leche Flan. Actually, I/we make Puto Cheese and Leche Flan in any Filipino occasions; and if you live in my house, I make Puto Cheese and Leche flan just because… NO SPECIAL REASONS nor special occasions needed… I MAKE THEM BECAUSE I CRAVE THEM.
For me, Puto Cheese and Leche Flan are like peanut butter and jelly… they just go together because in when you separate the egg whites and the yolks, you have to make them into something; with egg yolks, you can use it for the Leche Flan recipe and for the egg whites you will use it for the Puto Cheese, so there is no ingredients being wasted.
SO, WHAT IS LECHE FLAN?
Leche Flan is a creamy dessert with egg yolks as its main ingredient. It is mixed with condensed milk and steamed it for 45 minutes to an hour. When cooked, Leche flan is luscious,rich and smooth in each bite.
WHAT IS PUTO CHEESE?
Puto cheese is like a bread dessert and uses egg whites as its main ingredient. It is mixed with flour and sweetened with sugar. It has milk in it which gives this bread a distinct yet subtle milky flavor. Some Puto Cheese recipe do not require adding cheese on top, but to me, I think cheese is a must because the cheese’s saltiness breaks the Puto’s sweetness.
Puto Cheese Leche Flan is always a staple in Filipino parties because it is very easy to make, the ingredients are readily available and they are very delicious.
WHY I LOVE THIS RECIPE:
- There is no ingredients wasted. When I use this PUTO CHEESE LECHE FLAN RECIPE, I get to use the egg white for the Puto Cheese and the egg yolks for the Leche Flan. Before I discovered this, I throw the other ingredients ‘coz I did not know what to do with it.
- PUTO CHEESE LECHE FLAN combo is very easy transport when I bring it to a party.
- Ingredients are available .
- Simple to make and a very tasty Filipino dessert that you can show off during parties.
- 4 cups flour
- 2 tablespoon of baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 cups white sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 10 egg whites
- 2 tablespoon butter, melted
- 3 cups Milk ( I used Evaporated milk )
- 40 pieces thin slices of cheddar cheese (mild) or you can use the grated one (CHECK VIDEO FOR THE PROCESS)
- 1 12 fl oz can Evaporated Milk
- 1 14 fl oz can low Fat Condensed Milk
- 10 Egg yolks separated from the White ( Keep the whites for the Puto Cheese Recipe
- For the Caramel
- ¼ cup Brown Sugar
- ¼ cup water
- Put 6-8 cups of water in a large steamer and the water boil.
- In an electric mixing bowl, mix sugar , vanilla , the egg, milk and butter.
- Combine the flour, salt,,baking powder in a medium sized bowl and mix it with the wire whisk to combine. Add the dry ingredients to the egg whites, milk and butter and mix well until batter is smooth.
- Fill the plastic puto molder about half of the bater and steam for 20 minutes , then remove steamer from fire put the cheese on top. Re steam covered until the cheese is slightly melted. I do not use a toothpick method in this because usually, the puto still come out uncook even when the toothpick comes out smooth; so I just feel the bread in the middle and if it is firm, it is done. OR Just steam for 20 minutes.
- Prepare your Steamer by pouring about 6 to 8 cups of water and let the water boil before steaming the Leche Flan.
- Place the sugar and water in a small saucepan. Let it boil until the sugar has melted. Turn off heat and pour and divide the caramel into 2 6-inch round mold or one oval mold.. I used 6-inch cake pan before and now I am using 1 oval mold.
- For the Leche Flan
- Mix the evaporated milk, condensed milk and egg in a medium sized bowl. When the mixture is mix thoroughly, pour into the 1 prepared mold. Make sure that the caramel is cool, you do not want to cook your egg yolk. Cover the mold with tin foil and steam for 45 minutes to an hour.