THAI SHRIMP DUMPLING NOODLES with Homemade Wonton Wrapper is a mixture of the good and the bad idea for this soup. Good in a way that this is very easy to make and really warming and delicious but bad in a way, because I never though that kneading the dough is a lot of work. So if you do not have that much time in the kitchen, I think buying the Wonton wrapper from the store is a good option.
The day is so beautiful, so I grab an opportunity to drive to the Asian store. I love going to an Asian store because seeing the goods there, bring back memories when I was in my country. I took the time browsing around each aisle and I wished I can buy all the sauces, the chili paste and all types of noodles.I bought chili paste and tamarind paste. I also bought two kinds of noodles which led me into making this soup today. I got a Filipino type of noodle as well. I am going to cook that soon, since my husband’s colleague wants him to bring some Pancit. She said, ” If you bring me pancit ( Filipino Noodles), I will be your slave forever.”
This soup today is very simple to make if you use the ready made Wonton wrapper. NOTE: You can buy a Wonton Wrapper pieces in your department store if you do not want to make the Wonton from scratch. As for myself, I opted to make my own Wonton Wrapper, because I have a lot of time to spare anyway, and for a long time, I have been wanting to learn to make it.
The first time was a mess. I have to throw the first dough because it was very sticky. I added too much water because I thought the dough was not pliable enough. I did not use the stand mixer also, so there were so many lumps in it.
In the second attempt, instead of adding water, I stuck to the recipe and when the dough was not pliable enough, I wet my hand and work on the dough. The small amount of water in my hand somehow helped made the dough pliable.
To be honest, while I was making the dough, I was kicking myself in the ass, thinking why I chose to make it myself. As I was kneading, I was thinking of driving to the store and buying the ready made ones 🙂 So my advise, if you do not want to give yourself a headache, buy yourself the instant Wonton. But if you want a challenge this weekend, and if you want an extra sense of pride for yourself, make your Wonton from scratch.
I hope you guys, are going to enjoy this Shrimp Dumpling Soup as much as we do. Please don’t forget to PIN and share the pictures in your Facebook account. Have a blessed day!
BTW, you cannot buy these noodles individually. You have to buy them in pack, so I will post more noodle recipes in the future. So do not throw them away 🙂
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ¼ cup boiling water ( I just boil mine in the microwave for 2 minutes)
- ⅛ cup cold water
- 1½ teaspoon vegetable oil
- 4½ oz ground pork
- 4½ cup peeled, chopped raw shrimp
- 1¾ oz canned water chestnuts drained, rinsed and chopped
- 2 stalks celery chopped
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- ½ tablespoon soy sauce
- 42 oz vegetable broth or chicken broth
- 2 bundles rice stick noodles ( see picture above)
- Onion leaves and lemon to garnish
- Place the flour in the stand mixer bowl and make a well in the middle.
- Pour in water, oil in the well and slowly mix the dough using a spoon.
- Then use the mixer to knead.
- Remove the dough from the mixer stand and check if it is pliable enough. If not, wet
youhand continue kneading it.
- Knead the dough in a lightly floured surface. Cut the dough into 18 equal size pieces.
- Roll the dough into rounds about 3 inches diameter.
- I used the electric chopper to chop the celery and chestnut
- Mix the filling in
- Spoon a little of the filling mixture into the center of each round.
- Bring the edges of the dough together, scrunching them to form a moneybag and twist to seal
- FOR THE SOUP
- Pour the stock into a large saucepan and bring to a boil. Add in the dumpling and the noodles. Noodles are
bunch on one side.See picture.
- The noodles get soft very quickly so remove it using a serrated
laddle and place it in the bowl
- Continue to cook the dumplings until cook through. Test one dumpling and see if it
- When the dumplings are cooked, add into the bowl with noodles and garnish with onion leaves and lemon
- NOTE: If you do not serve it immediately, The noodles will expand and will absorb some of the soup stock, just add how water in it, and add salt or pepper if you desire.